Friday 9 May 2014

Vlad the Inhaler and World Book Day



As I’ve mentioned on here already, my debut children’s novel, Vlad the Inhaler, is now out and doing quite well. It seems that parents love the story every bit as much as their children do – words to warm the heart of any author.

I was contacted by a school in Gibraltar asking if I would like to read a short section to the pupils of year five on World Book Day, which was last month. I accepted, of course, and really enjoyed interacting with prospective readers of Vlad.

As an incentive to get them to use their imaginations, I set up a short story competition. The only stipulation for entries being that it had to be an adventure story. I told them to keep asking themselves that important story writing question: what if?

I was delighted with the entries and went to the school this week to hand over a signed copy of Vlad as a prize. The three runners-up will have their names used as characters in a future Vlad adventure. It was wonderful to see how excited the three children were!


There was a nice surprise in store for me, too. The head of English has decided to make Vlad the Inhaler the English set book for year five and asked if I would return each World Book Day to discuss Vlad with pupils. Needless to say, my response was a heartfelt YES!

If you have children between the ages of 8 and 12, please let them know about Vlad’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/IamVladTheInhaler

There will be regular competitions and prizes, as well as lots of insider information on Vlad and his friends.

Critique Service for Writers

Flash 500 Home Page: Flash Fiction, Humour Verse
and Novel Opening Chapter and Synopsis Competitions

No comments:

Post a Comment